Back up and running!!! Thanks to VentraIP who replied to me within minutes!
VentraIP is having a bit of trouble with subdomains, so my comeglidewithme site is down!!!
Elleesa Stewart’s and Gabriella Gatt’s will also be down (as they’re on my hosting with subdomains also)… I will aim to resolve this issue by tonight! (I have a friend who might let me use their hosting temporarily!!!)… Hope no ones trying to get on there now!!! Sorry about the inconvenience!!!
Here’s the status page: http://status.ventraip.com.au/
It does take a while to load (I got my friend to test it out and it took ages)… I guess that’s another thing to add to the list of things to fix! The problem is, I need to use a larger image so that it doesn’t print out all blurry! (because screens can handle smaller images, print can’t!)…
Over the holidays I hope to make a few little additions to the site (I won’t get time to do it before I have to hand it in, but I thought I would list them here).
- Make it possible to choose a template (or specify none).
- Make it possible for people to submit photographs of themselves flying their plane (or even just their plane) for people on the site to see (perhaps create a tumblr page where all the photographs will be sent).
- Write the country the user searched to the side of the plane
- Refine the design
- I’ve still noticed a few irrelevant results, so I may end up changing the sources entirely
- Create a cute hand drawn gif for the loading
I thought I would make a post about my progress so far with the mashup.
I have had a lot of help from online tutorials and some help from people who know PHP. It’s been a great learning experience.
I’ve overcome the embarrassing problem I was having before, and have created a search which throws back generally relevant results! I’m pretty happy with that.
Today I have been working on the ‘gloss’, getting it all ready for submission (or ready to be put live on the web for everyone to see!).
I’ll be making an instructions video tomorrow (looking forward to that one!). I’ve even tested the printing and it works fine! Thank you print stylesheets!
I’ll also add what I’ve used to build the thing. The Flickr API (and FlickrPHP) flickr.photos.search has been used to retrieve images from Flickr. RSSPHP has been used to retrieve images from Deviantart (I am still working out how to make these images change or refresh as new ones come in!). And the 500px API has been used to grab images from their site! The whole thing has been built using PHP. This seemed to me like an easier way for me to ensure it’ll work always, and also so that I can randomise the results. I probably could have done it with pipes, but pipes is so unpredictable!!!
I’ve also had to block one users posts from 500px as they were tagging all of their photos with countries and cities! I had a look and they had all these photographs of models tagged with Australia, Texas, Italy, Germany… Pretty much EVERY city you can think of! Very annoying… I don’t want to have to put many people on the ‘black list’…